Gann Square Swing Markers
The Gann Square Swing Marker (GSSM) tool is similar in function to the Gann Square Marker (GSM). But where the Gann Square Marker requires a selected point on the price chart to plot the custom calculations, this tool takes all the turning points from the Swing lists (Gann Swing, Percent Swing, Pivot Labels and Volatility Swings) and then applies the GSM calculations from each turning point.
There are over 30 mathematical functions available to build the formulas with an easy to use interface that allows you to calculate in seconds what would otherwise take hours.
The following is a list of the functions available to calculate the markers:
TAN, SIN, COS, SINH, COSH, ARCTAN, COTAN, ARG, EXP, LN, LOG10, LOG2, SQR, SQRT, ABS, TRUNC, INT, CEIL, FLOOR, HEAV, SIGN, ZERO, PH, RND, RANDOM, MAX, MIN, POWER, INTPOWER, LOGN
To add a Gann Square Swing Marker to your chart, select it from the Gann tool group and click on the price chart. The formulas for both time and price calculations can be edited under the Levels option in the Properties panel.
Actions & Properties
Add to Toolbar: Click this action to add the selected tool to your custom toolbar.
Apply Settings to All: When multiple GSSM have been applied to a chart, page or workbook, this action can be used to apply the settings of the one selected to other instances of the tool. This is a great time saver if an adjustment is made to the tool - such as changing colours - as this allows all the other GSSM in the chart, page or entire workbook to be updated instantly.
Copy Data to Clipboard: Will copy the tool's values to the clipboard which can then be inserted into a spreadsheet, for example, allowing for further analysis.
Copy Tool: Allows the selected tool to be copied, which can then be pasted onto a different chart window.
Move to Back: If the lines of the tool are displaying in front of other tools or indicators clicking this action will move the lines view to the background.
Move to Front: If the lines of the tool are displaying behind other tools or indicators on the chart, clicking this action will bring the lines to the forefront.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the tool, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the tool's properties (colour, for example) you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you apply the tool to a chart it will display using the new settings.
Set Time Alert: Allows you to set a Time Alert on one of the markers.
Add New Level: Allows you to add a new level and/or edit existing levels (see Levels in Properties below).
Delete: Deletes the tool from the chart.
Tool Name: Allows you to adjust the name of the tool, as it's displayed in the Structure Panel.
Levels: This window is used to enter your custom formulas into the GSSM tool.
- Expression: This is where the formula is entered, e.g. Price*0.1, Price*TAN(30), SQR(Price)*0.1
- Weight: Some projections are more important than others. This setting allows you to increase / decrease the importance of the projection.
- Type: Determines whether the projection is for time or price.
- Harmonics: divides the markers into thirds or eighths, or both.
- Time Control: If Time is the selected Type, this drop-down list lets you select the units of time used in the projection (Bars, Calendar Days, Minutes, etc).
- Line Style: Use this option to adjust the width, style (dotted, dashed, etc) or colour of the marker.
Use Chart's Price Unit: By default, the price unit of the chart is used in the tool calculation. Untick the box to manually adjust the value in the Price Unit property.
Price Unit: This option is available when the Use Chart's Price Unit box is unticked (see above). Enter a new value to manually determine what one unit of price is equal to in the tool's calculation (eg 0.1). For more information, please click here.
Calculation Style: Sets the swing style to use for the GSSM turning points. This can be set to Gann Swing, Percentage Swing, Pivot Labels and Volatility Swing.
Swing Properties: When the Calculation Style is set to Gann Swing the following properties can be adjusted:
- Bar: Sets how many time periods (bars) must take place in the same direction for the swing to turn.
- Outside Bar Calc: Sets how outside bars are treated in the swing calculation.
- Use Breakout: This option can only be used with a swing count greater than one. If the turning point of the previous swing is exceeded before the number of bars in the swing count has occurred this is called a 'breakout' and the new swing will be drawn.
Percentage Swing Properties: When the Calculation Style is set to Percentage Swing the following properties can be adjusted:
- Bar: Sets the number of bars that are to be used in the Percent Swing calculation.
- Percent: Sets the percentage value the market must move before the swing will turn.
- Calculate Using: Allows you to choose whether the swings are calculated from the High / Low values or the Close value only.
Pivot Label Properties: When the Calculation Style is set to Pivot Labels the following properties can be adjusted:
- Min Pivot: Sets the minimum pivot value. The higher the value the more significant the pivot, so increasing this value will filter out the smaller values.
- Direction: This setting determines whether just future or previous bars are used in the pivot calculation or both.
Volatility Swing ATR: When the Calculation Style is set to Volatility Swings you can then adjust ATR value.
Repeat Markers: Tick this box to repeat the markers on the chart.
Price Repeat Count: Sets the number of times the markers are drawn on the chart.
Price Direction: The horizontal price markers can be drawn either up, down or in both directions.
Time Direction: The vertical time markers can be drawn either forward, in reverse or in both directions.
Show Labels: When selected Date and value labels (where applicable) will be displayed for each GSSM line.
Label Alignment: The labels can be placed in different positions in relation to the GSSM lines. There are 8 options available: Top Left, Top Right, Centre Top, Bottom Left, Bottom Right, Centre Bottom, Centre Left and Centre Right.
Font Size: Adjusts the Label size, move the slider bar to the right to increase the font size.
Line Over All Views: When selected the GSSM lines will extend over any View tools that may have been applied.
Thirds Line Style: This allows you to adjust the line style of the Thirds harmonic division, their width and colours.
Eighths Line Style: This allows you to adjust the line style of the Eighths harmonic division, their width and colours.
Offset: Moves the tool forward or backwards in time. The offset is measured in bars, so a value of 2 will push the tool forward 2 bars and -2 will move the tool back 2 bars.
Tool Transparency: Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the tool. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency.
Visible: Un-tick this checkbox to hide the tool from the chart.
Geo/Helio/Sidereal: This option is available with the Astronomical module only. For calculations using planetary angles / positions, etc, this setting allows you to select the style of ephemeris used (geocentric, heliocentric, topocentric or sidereal).
The Educated Analyst
Gann Square Markers
Last updated Fri, Mar 31 2017 5:27am