Setting up Interactive Brokers Data in Optuma
This article will take you through the process of setting up Interactive Brokers (IB) data in Optuma.
* Optuma with an active subscription or trial account.
* An active account with Interactive Brokers. If you would like to arrange an account we recommend you contact Interactive Brokers directly.
Installing Trader Workstation
You will need IB's Trader Workstation platform installed on your system. Click here to download and install the program from IB.
Note: To successfully run Trader Workstation in conjunction with Optuma you will need to ensure that you have the latest Java installed. You can download the Java software from here.
Step 1 - Enabling Trader Workstation for External Data Access
1. Open the Trader Workstation program.
2. Once you have logged in, select the File > Global Configuration... menu.
3. From the window that now displays, select API > Settings
4. Under API > Settings, tick the checkbox next to Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients
5. For the Socket port, change the value to 7496
6. Select the checkbox Allow connections from localhost only
7. After making these changes, select Apply and click the OK button to close the window.
8. Minimise the Trader Workstation program.
Note: While you will need to run the Trader Workstation program before running Optuma to access the data, you will only need to enable this API option once.
Step 2 - Setting up Optuma to Access the Data from IB
1. Run Optuma in administration mode. For information on how to do this, click here.
2. Once you have logged into the program, click on the Data menu and select the Configure Data Providers option.
3. In the window that opens, locate the IB option, left-click it once and click the Next button.
4. Optuma will check all the required files are installed. A prompt will display with additional instructions. If no prompt displays within a few seconds you can click the Next button.
5. A number of available data exchanges will be displayed. Select the exchanges you wish to use with Interactive Brokers and add them to the right-hand side table. Click the Apply button to complete the setup process.
NOTE: Only ASX, US, and IB Forex data will automatically connect at this time. Data for symbols from other exchanges (eg US commodity futures) will need to be added manually, as per these instructions.
Step 3 - Opening a chart using the IB data feed
With the program restarted press F3 on your keyboard. The Data File selector window will open.
Left-click an exchange folder which has been set up to use IB data. (ASX Shares for example).
Left-click in the Type Code field and enter the code you wish to view (BHP for example) and press Enter on your keyboard. The chart will open and you will have access to Intraday time frames.
Note: IB is not listed in the Configure Data Providers menu in Optuma
1. Check that you are using the Installed version of Trader Workstation and not the web-based version, and that it is installed on the same drive as Optuma.
2. Check that you have both Trader Workstation and Optuma installed in their default locations, i.e. TWS should be installed on C drive, C:\Jts and Optuma in the Program Files directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Optuma if you have a 32 bit operating system then Optuma should be in the C:\Program Files\Optuma folder.
There is a quick video below that will explain both requirements in more detail for you.
Optuma is not connecting - the Data menu button indicator is red
1. Run Optuma in administration mode. For information on how to do this, please click here.
2. If Optuma still does not connect make sure that you have the latest Java installed, you can download this from here.
3. If problems still persist, click the following link to download and install an additional compatibility component: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86). You will need to restart both Optuma and TWS after installing this component.
4. Ensure that Optuma is set to use the same port setup in Interactive Brokers settings.
If after following the above procedures Optuma is still unable to connect to TWS try checking your security settings. If possible make sure that Optuma is added to the program exclusion list. Our Knowledge Base includes articles for some popular security software programs, you can access these articles here.