The Ephemeris Chart is similar to the Gann Planetary Lines tool, except it is not bound to an underlying symbol's price range. Either the planetary longitudes or latitudes can be displayed.
The scale ranges from zero to 360 degrees (or it can be displayed as 360 to zero) and can plot multiple planetary bodies at once, searching for selected aspects between any of the lines on the chart. Here are the square aspects for Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn from 2019 to 2025. Mouse over any aspect to get the details:
An important feature of the Ephemeris Chart is the ability for the scale to be modified into smaller sections, such as 180 degrees, 90 degrees, 45 degrees, etc.
When the scales range value is changed, the bottom of the scale range ends at that degree and as a planet crosses that threshold, it comes back to the top. eg if it was 90deg, then as it went from 89 to 90, it would fall off the bottom of the Ephemeris chart and then from 90 to 91 would be back at the top.
This can be very useful when analysing planetary pairs, where you are attempting to highlight potential aspects as overlaps.
Actions & Properties
Clone Chart: When selected an exact replica of the existing Ephemeris Chart will be created.
Print Chart: Opens the page in a PDF document, which can then be printed.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the Ephemeris Chart, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Aspects to Clipboard: Copies the values of the Aspect data being displayed on the Ephemeris chart which can be pasted into another program such as Notepad or Excel. For example...
Save Planets to Clipboard: Copies the values of the Planetary data being displayed on the Ephemeris chart which ca be pasted into another program such as Notepad or Excel. For example...
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the Ephemeris Chart's properties you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you open a new Ephemeris Chart it will display using the new settings.
Send To: Expands to display the following options:
- Clipboard: Saves a copy of the Ephemeris Chart to the Clipboard, either in Bitmap or Vector format.
- Image File: Saves a copy of the Ephemeris Chart as an image file, either in Bitmap or Vector format.
- Outlook: Applicable to Professional Services only, when selected the current Ephemeris Chart will be sent to Microsoft Outlook.
- Word: Applicable to Professional Services only, when selected the current Ephemeris Chart will be displayed as an image in Microsoft Word.
Chart Degrees: This drop down property allows you to adjust the range of the Ephemeris Charts degrees scale. The options available are:
- 30 Degrees
- 36 Degrees
- 40 Degrees
- 45 Degrees
- 60 Degrees
- 72 Degrees
- 90 Degrees
- 120 Degrees
- 180 Degrees
- 360 Degrees (default)
Planets: Allows you to select the Planets/planetary bodies you want displayed on the Ephemeris chart. One item to note, if it is the first time you have selected a planet on the chart, a cache file will be generated.
Depending how the date range and speed of your PC this can take up to a few minutes, but will not happen the next time that planet is selected.
Aspects: Allows you to select the Aspects / Angles that the Ephemeris chart will display. The chart will look for aspects between all planet combinations enabled, and will draw a line / orb between the two planetary lines.
Data Type: Allows you to swap between Longitude and Latitude planetary data.
Chart Direction: Allows you to swap between Low to High, and High to Low reversing the direction of the planetary lines.
Geo / Helio / Sidereal: This setting allows you to change the Ephemeris Chart setting between GeoCentric, HelioCentric, and Sidereal.
GMT Offset: Use this option to adjust the Ephemeris Charts time zone setting for a specific market. Select the required GMT setting and the chart will automatically update.
Date Range: This setting allows you to choose how much historical data is displayed on the chart. By default, the chart will start from 01-01-1900 and end on the current date. However, you can also choose one of the following options. This is particularly useful for limiting the amount of data required when building cache.
- Last Week
- Last Fortnight
- Last Month
- Last Quarter (3 Months)
- Last Year
- Last 5 Years
- Last 10 Years
- Year To Date
- Date Range (default).
Date to Load From: Will display when the Date Range property is set to "Date Range". Allows you to set the start date of the Ephemeris Charts data.
Date to Load To: Will display when the Date Range property is set to "Date Range". Allows you to set the end date of the Ephemeris Charts data.
Show Planet Symbols: When enabled this property will add a planetary symbol periodically to the lines on the Ephemeris chart.
Orb Properties: Expands to display the properties of the Orb, the following items can be adjusted:
- Show Orbs: Enables you to show or hide the orbs.
- Orb - This setting allows you to adjust the acceptable variance for the selected aspects. For example, a setting of 2 allows for 2 degrees of variation on an aspect (so Square would show between 88 to 92 degrees).
- Orb Transparency - Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the Orb. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency.
Line Style: Expands to display the line properties for the Planetary lines on the Ephemeris chart. The following properties can be adjusted:
- Line Style - The Line Style property allows you to adjust the type of line displayed. There are 8 options available: Solid, Dots, Dash, Dash Dots, Long Dash, Long Dash Dot, Long Dash Dot Dot, Stippled.
- Line Width - Allows you to adjust the width of the line for the planetary lines. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the thickness of the line.
- Transparency - Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the Planetary lines. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency.
Scale Font Size: Increases / Decreases the size of the text labels in the right hand side scale.
Date Control Link: If a price chart for a security is tiled alongside the Ephemeris chart, selecting this option will display a vertical date line on the price chart. The date line can then be repositioned and the Ephemeris chart will automatically correspond to the selected date position.
Show History Slider: Allows you to show or hide the History Slider that appears at the top of the window.